Saturday, August 9, 2008

Are you hearing me????

So, nearly there!

Had a quick look at the Audiobooks section. A lot of the links don't work on CCLC 2.0 site, but if you click on one of them (I forget which one) you can get to the others.

I had a look and most of the titles on the free sites are the ones that are out of copyright and are "classics" - not really my cup of tea.

I had a quick glance a the Overdrive demo site and I can see that the titles there are more recent, and it looks like it can be integrated into the library catalogue quite seamlessly (the screen dump even looked like Unicorn!!) although there is a cost per title. This would still be a useful alternative to processing and shelving items. The "small cost" per item would surely outweigh our current costs per item, to process, send and shelve...particularly given the amount of recent stock that gets deleted for book sales..... I feel this could be a worthwhile part of the collectionand I am pretty sure it is something that the collection team are evaluating for the future....

1 comment:

Michelle McLean said...

Downloadable audio is the way of the future, the holdup has been with the digital rights management. In the past you had to choose either MP3 or iPod format - its shifting now, so expect them in the foreseeable future.